Energy-saving lamp is blown - is that dangerous?

Again and again uncertainty arises because of the toxicity of energy-saving lamps. Whether there is a danger when an energy-saving lamp smashes through and whether it can have unhealthy consequences, read in this post. In addition, where particularly bad smells can come from when blown.

Cause of the blow through

In the area of ​​the socket energy-saving lamps generate a large amount of heat during operation, which can only be dissipated poorly (heat accumulation). Plastic parts in this area can therefore easily become brownish after a longer period of use and smell accordingly. This wear is usually included in energy-saving lamps and preprogrammed.

Unlike these "normal" Schmorzeichen it could also lead to wavy deformations, holes or distortions in the plastic parts, which is a sign that something is wrong with the lamp (or the heat). In this case, you should definitely look for the cause of the excessive heat development (leave). Is the energy saving lamp possibly oversized for the installation location?

Burned through the ELKO

An electrolytic capacitor (ELKO) is a resistor consisting of an electrolytic liquid enclosed in a housing. If too much heat is generated, the electrolytic liquid in the interior heats up too much and begins to expand.

To avoid major damage, the container breaks at a predetermined breaking point and allows the liquid to escape. This can be associated with very bad smells.

The lamp can not be saved in this case. To avoid a short circuit or similar, it is no longer lit.

health hazards

The fear that mercury could escape when melted out is unfounded. Mercury is in the case of energy-saving lamps only in the vitreous humor - as long as this vitreous body is undamaged, neither mercury nor (much more harmful) mercury vapor can escape.

Other dangerous substances are not released by the lamp when burned. Some substances, however, are already released in normal operation, and are also harmful and sometimes toxic. This includes about

  • phenols
  • toluene
  • VOCs (volatile organic compounds, as they also occur in solvents)

Tips & Tricks

Lamps screwed in too loosely or with too little contact are often a reason for short life or high wear. Therefore, always check whether bulbs are actually screwed in everywhere.

Video Board: Warning About Compact Fluorescent Bulbs!