Lead is toxic upon ingestion, contact and inhalation


Lead is a very toxic heavy metal for an organism. The lead taken up by breathing, inundation or through the skin deposits and is broken down very slowly in the body. Regular injections of more than one milligram are already chronically toxic to the nervous system. From single quantities of five grams, lead is lethal.

Well-known lead sources

Anyone who is acutely or chronically poisoned with lead suffers the so-called Saturnism, as the poisoning with the heavy metal is called. We venomous lead is really, was not recognized until the 1950s. Until then, many lead water pipelines were used, painting used lead-based paints, and the fuel for vehicles was leaded.

Since the abolition of leaded gasoline between 1980 and 2000, the average level of lead in the environment has fallen below a health-threatening level. However, there are still situations where risky poisonous amounts of lead can arise. Typical examples are:

  • Old pewter dishes
  • Before 1970 installed water pipes
  • Jet fuel or kerosene
  • Mushrooms and ground cover plants near heavy industry plants
  • Seashell near sewage discharges and docks

Health effects of the poison

Lead causes a whole series of physical symptoms that occur during poisoning:

  • Limited blood formation produces "pale gray" staining
  • Increased blood pressure and heartbeat frequency disorders
  • Motor disorders up to paralysis
  • Stomach up to bleeding and vomiting

The safest diagnostic method is the investigation of lead in the blood.

Tips & Tricks

If you come into contact with lead, the heavy metal must not touch your skin, you should not inhale it or swallow it. Take appropriate precautions.


Video Board: Lead Poisoning - Everything You Need To Know - Dr. Nabil Ebraheim