Burn mold - is that a solution?

Mold, like any other life form, is sensitive to temperature. At certain temperatures, mold is as viable as below certain temperatures. Whether you can "burn" mold with heat, and what risks this approach has, tells you this post.

Heat sensitivity of mold

Mold can only bear very high temperatures badly. From a temperature of about 70° C, most molds are no longer viable. Mold, however, is a very tough plant - this temperature must act on all parts of the mold evenly and for at least several minutes, otherwise the fungus is not completely killed. The mold spores are often not killed, but remain partially replicable.

Disadvantages when exposed to heat

Only the visible part of the mold can be combated by the heat. However, the entire infestation is not always immediately visible - mold can also spread invisibly even much further. If the spores are not destroyed, there is a risk that the mold will reform quickly (possibly in other places or in cavities).

There are also other possible disadvantages:

  • without determining the actual cause and elimination of the source of moisture, the risk of mold formation remains constant
  • killed spores can still contain effective mold toxins in many cases
  • Heat often only superficially affects the mold, which can often dissipate heat due to the moisture of the mycelium, the fungus does not die off everywhere, but only superficially
  • there is a fire hazard with many materials, especially when using very powerful heat sources (such as blowtorch)
  • In cavities almost never enough high temperatures arise to kill the fungus

White horse on firewood

Due to unfavorable storage of firewood with high residual moisture can often form mold. When burning the wood, the fungus dies completely with it. Crucial for this, however, is the extent of infestation of the firewood.

wood damage

First you have to distinguish between real molds and the dry rot. While molds also digest the cellulose in the wood, but cause comparatively minor and usually only superficial damage, the dry rot (a mushroom fungus) completely decomposes the wood. It can spread widely (also through masonry and meter-long wood-free routes) and therefore also represents a very high risk for the building.

Causes of mold and dry rot

Too much moisture (in this case, the residual moisture of the wood), incorrect storage (too little ventilation and air circulation) or too dense sizing of the logs favor the development of mold and dry rot.

Heating with moldy wood

If the wood has a residual moisture of up to 25%, it can be easily burned. This is no longer possible if the wood is already decomposed (friable, crumbly and crumbling). If a sponge is suspected, the wood should be disposed of properly in any case, to exclude a risk to the house.

Tips & Tricks

Wood should not be stored in the basement. The conditions are there for wood drying conceivable unsuitable. Good wood deposits are covered areas in the open, which are protected from the weather. Fresh wood must be stored there for at least one year before it can be burned.

Video Board: How To | Remove Mold and Mildew From the Grill (Cleaning Burn)