Mold under the laminate - what should you do?

Often there is doubt as to whether mold could have lodged under the laminate. The signs that speak for what causes and what you can best do about them are explained in detail in this article.

Signs of mold

Just below the floor covering mold is often noticed very late. But there are signs that can alert you:

  • musty or musty smell from the ground
  • musty smell that seems to come from the baseboards
  • all earthy odors or smells of forest soil that can not be clearly assigned

With such signs, one should definitely make a careful examination of the whole living space to detect the source of the odors indicating mold.

mold test

If the source of the odors can not be located, you should, as a precaution, hire an expert. He can detect even the smallest mold infestations with suitable methods - such as a gray dog ​​or a very accurate MVOC measurement in the room air.

Laminate and mold

of air

Below the laminate, which is usually loosely laid, there is an ideal home for mold. Mold fungi tolerate air circulation only badly, where the air "stands" they feel much more comfortable. This is the case in the air layer under the laminate.

humidity

The cause of mold formation is always constant moisture present. Since moisture under the laminate is difficult to escape, the fungus also finds optimal living conditions under the laminate in this regard.

nutrient

The underlayer of laminate often contains organic materials that can feed and digest many molds as nutrients. Added to this is dust and dirt, which accumulates under the laminate over time, and can also serve as a nutrient for many mold fungi.

Can you redecorate laminate?

Clear answer: No, not at all. Mold-infested laminate must be completely removed and disposed of. Treatment with chemical agents is not possible and not effective. Laminate is also a comparatively cheap flooring, so that the financial damage is lower than other floor coverings.

cause removal

After removing the laminate, the cause of the mold (moisture source) must always be determined and completely eliminated. There are various possibilities for this:

  • Water pipe breaks or leaking heating pipes
  • too high building moisture in the new building (is also possible in the ground area, possibly too early occupancy of the soil)
  • too high screed moisture (new building)

Especially the time that a newly built house needs to "dry out" is often underestimated. Even with a continuously heated and inhabited new construction can take in many cases, up to two years, until the moisture from the construction phase is completely dried out.

Tips & Tricks

Regularly check (even without mold) the humidity in the house or apartment and ventilate so that the relative humidity never exceeds 55%. If you suspect that walls or other components are too damp, get a component moisture meter and measure it carefully. If necessary, then refurbish promptly.

Video Board: How to remove and prevent mold and mildew from wood cabinets using Borax