Stove tempered - what can happen, and what to do?

Every now and then it happens that something is left on the stove and the stove is started. What can happen here, what measures should be taken, and what you must pay attention to in such a case, read here.

Possible damages

Each cooker can produce extremely high temperatures, sometimes up to 1,000° C and above. If a stove is left unattended, it often causes considerable damage after a short time:

  • the contents of the pot left on the stove burns
  • the pot melts
  • more objects on or around the stove catch fire
  • it comes to heavy smoke

The contents of the pot left on the stove burns

If a stove is left unattended while there is still a pot of food on it, it will be in almost every case. The food burns into the pot when the water has evaporated.

In general, this only costs the pot, which is then usually not to save. But it can also be that the contents of the pot really catch fire. This can then possibly be the trigger for a kitchen fire.

The pot melts

If there is little cooking material or even just water in the pot, which evaporates quickly, pots can quickly burn through and even melt. With a gas cooker particularly high temperatures of up to 1,500° C and more arise - which can bring certain alloys already to melt. In general, this is rather rare, and not expected in high-quality pots.

If the pot actually melts, the stove is usually beyond saving. The molten metal can also set other objects on fire by its high temperature, and thus in turn trigger a kitchen fire.

More objects on or around the stove catch fire

This is the greatest danger. Objects on or around the stove can catch fire due to the effects of the extremely high temperatures and, in turn, burn other objects and gradually ignite the entire kitchen. In these cases, a complete fire quickly arises - with appropriate destruction. That does not happen as seldom as you think.

It comes to heavy smoke

When cooking food or even around the stove located objects or fixtures burn, it usually comes to heavy smoke. If you enter these rooms, or if you even stay in such rooms during the fire, there is a high risk of suffering from smoke poisoning.

In smoke poisoning, there are three groups of substances that are dangerous to the body:

  • Irritant gases (hydrogen chloride, sulfur dioxide, etc.), they have a corrosive effect on the respiratory tract
  • Toxic gases (CO ?, carbon monoxide, hydrocyanic acid, etc.) that prevent the absorption of oxygen in the body
  • Soot particles and dioxins, which also act as transport agents for other poisons, forming mechanical closures and transfers within the body

Which substance groups occur in which composition and amount in a fire can never be predicted. Every fire with smoke is therefore at acute risk of smoke poisoning. You should never underestimate that.

Signs of smoke poisoning include:

  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Fatigue and fatigue, often associated with headaches and dizziness
  • in severe cases unconsciousness, cramps and respiratory paralysis
  • bluish or distinctly light red coloration of the skin

If you experience any signs of smoke poisoning after entering a smoke filled room, be sure to call the doctor immediately. Please note that due to the slow transport speed of individual substances, some symptoms may be delayed (several hours). Flue gas poisoning can be life-threatening!

Measures to discover

  • Immediately interrupt the heat supply (switch off the stove)
  • Remove pots from the stove
  • Extinguish fires (Caution: NEVER extinguish burning grease and hot pots with water! Instead use fire blanket or suitable fire extinguisher)
  • If there is heavy smoke, leave the building immediately and call the fire brigade
  • Inform neighbors if heavy smoke or fire has developed
  • Open wide windows to allow smoke to escape (not in case of an acute fire, as air currents can still ignite the fire)
  • If there are signs of smoke poisoning, see the doctor immediately
  • If necessary, have your pet examined by a veterinarian if they have stayed in the rooms

Tips & Tricks

More than two-thirds of all fires occur at night. Equip yourself best with fire detectors and fire extinguishers for emergencies.

Video Board: Experts explain when, why tempered glass can randomly explode